Post by Dorincard on Sept 29, 2013 22:38:55 GMT -5
"The Putna monastery (Romanian: Mănăstirea Putna) is a Romanian Orthodox monastery, one of the most important cultural, religious and artistic centers established in medieval Moldavia; as with many others, it was built and dedicated by Prince Stephen the Great." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putna_Monastery
Turku Cathedral is the Mother Church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. It is the central church of the Archdiocese of Turku and the seat of the Archbishop of Finland, Kari Mäkinen. It is also regarded as one of the major records of Finnish architectural history.
Considered to be the most important religious building in Finland, the cathedral has borne witness to many important events in the nation's history and has become one of the city's most recognizable symbols. The cathedral is situated in the heart of Turku next to the Old Great Square, by the river Aura. Its presence extends beyond the local precinct by having the sound of its bells chiming at noon broadcast on national radio. It is also central to Finland's annual Christmas celebrations.
The cathedral was originally built out of wood in the late 13th century, and was dedicated as the main cathedral of Finland in 1300, the seat of the bishop of Turku. It was considerably expanded in the 14th and 15th centuries, mainly using stone as the construction material. The cathedral was badly damaged during the Great Fire of Turku in 1827, and was rebuilt to a great extent afterwards.
Scott# 590 - Turku Chapter Seal (Virgin and Child). 700th anniversary of the Cathedral Chapter of Turku.
Issued November 1, 1976 Lithographed Perf. 12½ Unwatermarked
Keuruu's old wooden church was built in 1758; it is the older of the two standing churches and the third to have been built in Keuruu. This church is said to be one of the most beautiful pieces of the eighteenth century Finnish rural architecture. The Old Church was designed and erected by Antti Hakola, a self-taught man from the village of Härmä in the province of Pohjanmaa. The sacristy at the Eastern end of the church was completed in 1832.
The interior is decorated with extensive artwork: a gallery portraying biblical characters; a ceiling-painting of the devil and the beast from the Book of Revelations; an altar-piece with figures of the Mother of God, St. John and the Christ; and a painting titled 'The Last Judgement'. A former rector, Abraham Indrenius, and his family are known to have been buried in the church's crypt.
Professor Lars Pettersson, a renowned authority on Finnish architecture, has said: "there are very few as remarkable wooden churches as this in Finland - and as such it is a unique national monument".
Church at Lammi, Finland, also known as the Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria was built in 1490-1510. First it was Catholic but it was converted to Lutheran after the Reformation in the mid 1550's.
In 1180 there was great activity in Borgund: they were going have a new church. The trees had been felled and the great logs hauled to the site. The old wooden church had to be replaced because the timbers were rotting, especially the roof-bearing posts where they were set in the ground. In the new church the timber framework would not be in contact with the damp earth: it would be raised up on stone foundations, a great improvement that would lengthen the life of the building. Skilled and experienced craftsmen arrived and set to work trimming the logs and planks and timbers-perhaps as many as 2,000 pieces in all.
With the help of the local people, the great posts or ‘staves’ – were slotted into the ground frame and hauled upright to form the main structure. The rest was relatively easy and soon the local community was planning the consecration of their fine new church. The service was conducted by the bishop himself. He first went round the building three times, then knocked thrice on the closed door with his bishop’s crook before he entered and led the parishioners in mass, consecrating the building in the name of Christ, conqueror of all evil and Lord of the Church.
Five crosses were carved in the altar and five more in the walls. They were sprinkled with holy water and consecrated with oil. The nave was full, the men and boys standing to the south of the aisle, the women and girls to the north. The only benches were along the walls and these were reserved for the old and the crippled.
Scott# 185 - Borgund Church Issued January 16, 1939
The Romanesque nave of Ejby Church dates from c. 1150–1200. It was extended to the east in the Gothic period, and tower, vestry and porch were added around 1500. The baptismal font dates from c. 1300. It was created in Gothland limestone and decorated with engraved figures of apostles and saints. The canopy type altarpiece was painted in 1596 with catechism tablets.The pulpit in auricular style dates from 1625.
The Hvidbjerg church lies just north of the village Svankjær with Svankjær Youth School as its nearest neighbor. It is a large stylish Romanesque church, from about 1100. The church is one of the best preserved Romanesque village churches in west Jutland. There is a nave, chancel with apse and a tower. In the churchyard is a large belfry, built by driftwood.
Storkyrkan (Great Church, Stockholm Cathedral), officially Church of St. Nicholas, is the oldest church in Gamla Stan, the old town in central Stockholm. It was first mentioned in 1279 and according to tradition was originally built by Birger Jarl, the founder of the city itself. For nearly four hundred years it was the only parish church in the city, the other churches of comparible antiquity originally built to serve the spiritual needs religious communities (e. g., Riddarholm Church). It became a Lutheran Protestant church in 1527.
The parish church since the Middle Ages, covering the whole island on which the Old Town stands, it has also been the cathedral of Stockholm since the Diocese of Stockholm was created out of the Archdiocese of Uppsala and the Diocese of Strängnäs in 1942. Because of its convenient size and its proximity to the earlier royal castle and the present royal palace it has frequently been the site of major events in Swedish history, such as coronations, royal wedding and royal funerals. The last Swedish king to be crowned here was Oscar II in 1873. Crown Princess Victoria, oldest daughter of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, was married to Daniel Westling on 19 June, 2010 at the Storkyrkan, the same date on which her parents were also married in Storkyrkan in 1976.
Inside the church the most famous artefact is the dramatic wooden statue of Saint George and the Dragon attributed to Bernt Notke (1489). The statue, commissioned to commemorate the Battle of Brunkeberg (1471), also serves as a reliquary, containing relics supposedly of Saint George and two other saints.
The church also contains a copy of the oldest known image of Stockholm, the painting Vädersolstavlan ("The Sun Dog Painting"), a 1632 copy of a lost original from 1535. The painting was commissioned by the scholar and reformer Olaus Petri, a 19th century statue of whom is found on the eastern side of the church. It depicts a halo display, e.g. sun dogs, which gives the painting its name and in the 16th century was interpreted as a presage.
On May 28, 1946, Sweden issued a set of 3 stamps celebrating the 800th anniversary of Lund Cathedral.
Scott# 370 - View of Lund Cathedral
Lund Cathedral is one of the most visited sites in Skåne.
The echoing acoustics provide soothing music but also the occasional hushing from a teacher or parent trying to silence a child or a school class. You can light a candle here, attend church services or just enjoy the oldest Metropolitan Church in the Nordic region, with construction being commenced back in 1085 under the leadership of German and Italian stonemasons. The oldest surviving parts date back as far as the 1100s.
Large sections of the crypt, which is the oldest part and is largely intact from 1123, reveal influences from Normandy and southern England. Down here you will find the biggest tourist attraction, a pillar embraced by the giant Finn, who, according to legend, built the church, but was then outraged at not being paid and wanted to destroy it. Instead he was tricked, shrunk and turned to stone. And to this day, he stands embracing his column. Other interpretations maintain that the stone figure may represent the Biblical character Samson destroying the temple in Jerusalem. Don't miss the great astronomical clock dating from around 1425 showing signs of the zodiac and the phases of the moon, and which chimes twice a day while the three wise men and their servants pass and bow before the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus. The carved oak choir stalls from the mid 1300s and the 3.5-metre tall seven-branch candelabra from the late 15th century are other reasons to visit.
Other interpretations maintain that the stone figure may represent the Biblical character Samson destroying the temple in Jerusalem.
Just to clarify, the temple Samson destroyed was likely the Temple of Dagon located in Gaza. As far as I know, the remains of the temple have not been excavated because an urban area sits atop the site.
Issued 1938 Engraved Perf. 12½ Watermark 4 - Multi Crown and Script CA
Located in the village of Peristerona, on the west bank of Serrahis tributary river, the church dedicated to Saints Barnabas and Hilarion is thought to have been built in the 9th or 10th century. The five-domed building serves as an outstanding example of Cypriot Byzantine architecture, with part of the original church’s north wall still surviving and incorporated in the western part of the wall of the existing church. The oldest wall-painting samples belong to the 15th and 16th centuries.
Next to the church lies the Turkish mosque of Peristerona, and the image of the two side-by-side has appeared on past currency and stamps as a symbol of peaceful coexistence between Greek and Turkish Cypriots prior to the 1974 Turkish invasion.
Østerlars Church is a historic building located just north of the village of Østerlars, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) south of Gudhjem on the island of Bornholm, Denmark. It is the largest and possibly, the oldest of the island's four round churches.
Built around 1160, it consists of an apse, an oval chancel, a large round nave and has three storys. There is evidence the church was once fortified, the top story serving as an open shooting gallery. The building is one of Denmark's oldest Romanesque churches. On the basis of coins dated 1157 found in the floor, the date of construction was probably around 1160. The fieldstone wall stands on foundations of Bornholm limestone. The round nave has an external diameter of 16 meters. In its center, there is a large round hollow column, six meters wide. An opening leads into a small room, known as the oven, inside the column.
Originally there were small Romanesque windows but these were enlarged after the Reformation. During the 16th century, a number of buttresses were added to support the outer wall. The conical roof was replaced in the 17th century. The porch is from 1870.
The bell tower stands separately from the church in the churchyard; the tower was the original entrance and gate tower. There are two runestones, one inside the porch (c. 1100) and another outside (c.1070).
Nidaros Cathedral is a cathedral of the Church of Norway located in the city of Trondheim in Trøndelag county. It is built over the burial site of King Olav II (c. 995-1030, reigned 1015-1028), who became the patron saint of the nation, and is the traditional location for the consecration of new kings of Norway. It was built over a 230 year period, from 1070 to 1300 when it was substantially completed. However additional work, additions and renovations have continued intermittently since then; the most recent changes were completed in 2001. Nidaros was designated as the cathedral for the Diocese of Nidaros in 1152. After experiencing the turmoil and controversies of the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century, it was taken from the Catholic Church by the newly established state Church of Norway in 1537, which adopted the teachings and reforms of Martin Luther, Philip Melanchthon and others, becoming an Evangelical Lutheran church. Nidaros is the northernmost medieval cathedral in the world.
Scott# 151 - Trondheim Cathedral
Issued - April 1, 1930 Lithography Wmk. 160 - Post Horn Perf. 14½x13½
We are Happy to have you here!! New members, we would love to get to know you. Please feel free to introduce yourself HERE
Otherwise - Jump right on into the conversations!! We look forward to your participation.
If you are not a member yet, register today!! It's all free and we want to hear from you!!
Please share our site on social media networks. Thanks!!!